Saturday, February 28, 2015

My Hopefully-Soon-To-Be-Ex: Poster Child for Midlife Crisis!

Shame on me, I should have known; the new Porsche, working out too much and constantly fishing for compliments with "I look pretty good for my age" over and over and over (he didn't, no matter how much he worked out). You starting dying your hair and then the final straw: when you looked at me, I felt your eyes say "meh"!

I knew then we wouldn't grow old together and be like the old couples you still see holding hands as they walk together down the street.

When I met you, you were wearing khakis and polo shirts. A nerd from the east. You weren't cool before you met me.

You called me the recalcitrant teenager when all along I was just being myself and you were becoming the teenager-again.

You will never know how difficult it is for a single mom to raise a teenage son, alone. You left at a point in his life when he needed you the most. An almost man; he needs a man to learn how to be a man. But how could teach him anyway as you were becoming a teenager again?

I remember a time that feels so long ago, before we had children we would go out to dinner and observe over the hill men having dinner with naive young women. We would smile and comment on how nice we thought it was that they were taking their daughters to dinner. 

If I ever run into you with your new amore, I will try my best not to congratulate you on your new daughter!


Here is the link to my latest Cheap Fashion Fix, a visit to a consignment boutique!



No comments:

Post a Comment